Hate Incident Reporting Centre
The Southend Mencap Hate Incident Reporting Centre – “Giving confidence to people with learning disabilities to stand up against hate related incidents”
Southend Mencap is the first organisation to be trained as an Essex Police accredited ‘Hate Incident Reporting Centre’ (HIRC) and we now become the UK’s first HIRC, which provides those wanting to report hate crimes the ability to do so in a secure and comfortable location other than a police station. This essential new project is being run in partnership with both Essex Police and Brights the Locksmiths. Southend Mencap have 7 accredited and qualified Hate Crime Ambassadors (HCA’s) available to support all victims of hate related incidents and who will also have a direct line into Essex Police’s Hate Crime Team to ensure that all reported incidents are treated with the utmost priority. In addition, our partnership with Brights’ means victims who could have potential security issues at their properties will be provided with a free site security survey.
This new project will provide:
- Professional staff fully trained and experienced in supporting people with learning disabilities.
- A safe location to report acts of hate related incidents against people with learning disabilities.
- Professional working relationship with Essex Police so all reported incidents treated as top priority.
- Dedicated follow up support until each incident has been fully resolved
- Free site security surveys from Brights Locksmith
Drop in for support to our HIRC at The Harvey Centre, 100 London Road, Southend-On-Sea, Essex SS1 1PG.
Opening hours – Monday to Friday 9am to 4pm – alternatively, appointments also available by calling (01702) 341250.